HAMCALC version 129
by George Murphy, VE3ERP
77 McKenzie Street,Orillia, ON L3V 6A6, Canada.
PLEASE PRINT OUT THIS PAGE WHEN YOU
DOWNLOAD THE HAMCALC ZIP FILE.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING AND RUNNING HAMCALC
A hard drive is required for the installation of HamCalc. Once installed it can be run in WINDOWS or MS-DOS. HamCalc is written in GWBASIC but does not require MS-DOS to run. GWBASIC.exe is a stand-alone file that runs in WINDOWS and MS-DOS operating systems.
IF YOU ARE USING A WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM DO NOT OPERATE IT IN MS-DOS MODE
If you want to use a printer with HamCalc the printer must be connected to a parallel port of your computer. HAMCALC DOES NOT SUPPORT USB PRINTER CONNECTIONS (see the "Printer Tips" option in the HamCalc Main Menu).
Before installing HamCalc turn off any firewall, anti-virus, and other protective programs.
If you acquired HamCalc as a .ZIP file DO NOT UNZIP IT IN DRIVE C - unzip it in a temporary location of your choice, such as My Documents.
If you acquired HamCalc on a CD, place the CD in your CD drive. In Windows Explorer or My Computer, click on the CD drive icon to display the contents of the CD.
In either case the file contains one folder; "Hamcalc" and two files; "Gwbasic.exe" and Ve3erp.bat". MOVE THE FOLDER AND BOTH FILES TO YOUR MAIN DRIVE C ROOT DIRECTORY.
HAMCALC MUST BE INSTALLED IN THE ROOT DIRECTORY OF DRIVE C (i.e. C:HAMCALC) TO OPERATE PROPERLY
DO NOT MOVE THE HAMCALC FILES TO ANY OTHER FOLDER OR DIRECTORY!
TO RUN HAMCALC IN WINDOWS;
1.Double click on My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2.Double click on the(C)icon.
3.Double click on Ve3erp.bat
1.Click on START, then click on RUN
2.On your keyboard type c:ve3erp
3.Click on OK
You can create a DeskTop shortcut to run HamCalc.
The shortcut command line is "C:\ve3erp.bat"
TO RUN HAMCALC IN MS-DOS:
At the C:\> prompt type ve3erp and press <ENTER>
1. HamCalc does not support mouse operation. Menu selections are by keyboard entry (usually a single keystroke).
2. With some versions of Windows (notably Windows XP), if the HamCalc window cannot be enlarged by the "maximize" button in the upper right hand corner, just press and hold the Alt key and press the Enter key.
3. Some Compac computers may fail to run GWBASIC programs, however a simple fix for this discrepancy can be downloaded at http://www.compaq/support/files/LTE/us/download/200.html
4. Call up individual programs from either the Program Menus or the INDEX option on the Main Menu. When you exit HamCalc you are automatically returned to WINDOWS Desktop.
5. To avoid possible confusion, run the READ ME and PRINTER TIPS options on the Main Menu to acquaint yourself with HamCalc's operating features before trying your hand at the individual programs.
6. HamCalc is upgraded frequently. The latest version can be downloaded free from www.cq-amateur-radio.com. HamCalc obtained from any other source is unauthorized, probably outdated and may be corrupted.
7. Do not run HamCalc directly from a CD, it may not work properly.
-73- Murph VE3ERP